By Mr. Rishabh Chokhani,
CEO & Founder, Naturevibe Botanicals
With the advent of the winter season, many of us are worried about the various kinds of flu that the season brings with it. The probability of catching communicable diseases cold, flu and influenza are invariably high in the season. The virus attacks our immune system significantly and therefore, it is important to build immunity and replenish nutrients in our body with healthy foods. Other than covering the body with warm clothes, there are specific superfoods which may help in keeping your immune system strong and protect the body against various diseases. Below are 5 superfoods to increase immunity in the winter season:
1. Kale: This is one of the most common superfoods which keeps your body away from unwanted viruses. It is high in antioxidant value which boosts the immune system and protects the body from diseases like common cold, influenza and Alzheimers. Kale can be added to the salads, it can also be used in the making of Kale leaf chips.
2. Chia Seeds: This superfood is small in size but its nutritional value is high. This nutritional powerhouse is packed with Omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, zinc, calcium, iron and fibres thus, making it good for the whole body including the immune system. It is scientifically well-known as the seeds of the Salvia Hispanica plant. It also contains a good amount of Vitamin C & E, Lignin and Phenolic acids-Known to boost the immune system.
3. Ashwagandha: Ashwagandha, also known as “Indian Gensing”, is a gift of nature to the human race. It is perfect for gaining strength and making the immune system strong due to its high nutritional value including antioxidants which can enhance the number of white blood cells. White blood cells of the immune system which helps in protecting a body from diseases like common cold, viral fever, influenza, flu, etc. It has some other major health benefits like Thyroid gland stimulation, strengthening of muscles, eliminations of viruses, etc.
4. Blueberries: Loaded with Vitamin C, Potassium and other important vitamins & Antioxidants, this superfood helps to increase immune system and works as a defence against the unwanted bacterias and viruses thus, keeping the body healthy. Even the flavour in these berries has anti-inflammatory properties which reduce the chances of getting a cough or common cold in winters.
5. Goji berries: For more than 1,000 years, goji berries are known as a staple remedy of a Chinese medicine known as “Longevity fruit” which has immune system-enhancing properties. It is a rich source of zinc and Vitamin C, both of which are renowned to fight against common cold and viruses. Research at Case Western Reserve University has shown that zinc has some properties which can shorten the time period of cold and can prevent it from getting severe. It also contains polysaccharides which provides the human cells with unique sugars that promote the immune system and makes the communication between the cells easier.