Traditional Chinese medicine practitioners believe that gaining weight is caused by an energy imbalance within the body. Since acupressure is designed to restore this balance, it is thought that it can help reduce overall weight in people who are overweight or obese.
Acupressure therapy is something that can be done at home. There are four pressure points, including the auricular acupoint, that can aid in weight loss.
4 Pressure Points to Assist Weight Loss
For the therapy to be effective, the proper technique needs to be applied. It’s important to find the pressure point and press down until there is resistance without pain. While pressing down, make a circular motion with your thumb using even pressure throughout.
San Yin Jiao (Three Yin Intersection)
The SP6 pressure point lies on the spleen meridian. It has a great effect on the organs in the lower abdomen as well as the parasympathetic nervous system, the system that controls all bodily functions while at rest.
- The point is located on the inner ankles, about three inches above the ankle bone.
- Apply firm pressure to the point using one or two fingers, and massage in a circular motion for two to three minutes.
- For the best results, do the same thing on both the right and left sides.
Zu San Li (Leg Three Mile)
Stimulating this point can allow farmers to walk an extra three-mile. It is located on the front of the leg below the knee. It is found on the stomach meridian.
This could help aid in weight loss by improving digestion.
To massage this point, apply firm pressure and massage in a small circular motion for two to three minutes, repeating on both sides.
Tian Shu (Celestial Pivot)
This pressure point lies along the stomach meridian midway between the outer border of the abdominal muscle and the umbilicus line. It is said to help with gastrointestinal issues such as constipation, diarrhea, and dysentery. It can aid in weight loss by helping regulate the intestines.
Find the point on your abdomen and apply a firm level of pressure. Massage the point in a small and circular motion for two to three minutes, repeating on both sides.
Zhong Wan (Central Stomach)
This point is located not on one of the 12 main meridians, but on the conception vessel meridian. This pressure point aids in digestion by influencing the organs in the upper abdomen.
To activate this point, apply firm pressure and massage in a circular motion for up to three minutes.
- Always consult with your healthcare provider prior to starting any new treatment or therapy, including acupressure. They can let you know whether it’s safe for you to use acupressure.
- Remember that acupressure should be used as an additional way to help with weight loss and should not be your only strategy to lose weight. A successful weight loss plan always includes a healthy diet and regular exercise.