By Dr. Siddhant Bhargava
Fitness and Nutritional Scientist
Monsoon is here and everyone can only think of going on a long drive with family and friends and gobble up fried Bhajiyas, Samosas, Hot chocolate to feel good. This is an example of Emotional Eating. Emotional eating can make you feel good. It is not actually hunger that makes you want to eat, but it is the emotional hunger which will make you feel satisfied even when you are not actually hungry.
This Monsoon try to be innovative with your “Emotional Hunger” by choosing a healthy and tasty alternative. Let’s beat emotional eating this monsoon by,
- Avoiding fried and fatty food, instead one can opt for tandoor or tikka or grilled options. This way you can skip the unhealthy fat and at the time have a tasty meal.
- Drink warm beverages like ginger tea or lemon tea. This helps to control your cravings, boost your metabolism and also will make you feel soothing.
- Exercise. Yes, you read it right. Opt for home workouts which in turn will help you burn calories and motivates you to eat healthy.
- Have a bowl of hot Soup or Stews. This will not only make you feel warm but at the same time help you stay hydrated and would help you fight cold and flu by de clogging your nasal passage.
- Nuts and Dry fruits can be your best snacking options which would help build your immunity as they contain essential vitamins and minerals. So now, when you are hungry- Walnuts, Almonds and Dates could be your immunity boosters
- Eat Seasonal fruits like Lychee, Cherries, Plums and Peaches. As they all are rich in Vitamin C and are rich source of antioxidants which would again improve your immunity. Unseasonal fruits might contain pesticides and cause infection.
- Try to eat home cooked food as there are more chances to catch flu and fall sick. Prepare your favourite dishes at home using spices and herbs which will help you fight congestion and aid digestion.
Last but not the least, enjoy this season by following these above-mentioned steps which are simple and easy to follow. Stay fit and healthy!