Popularly known as fitkari, made of two common salts: potassium aluminium phosphate as well as ammonium aluminium sulphate.
With time many Health Benefits of Alum have been uncovered,
- Treating acne and black heads: By applying alum & multani-mitti face pack on the acne spots for 20 minutes and then washing it with clean water, can help you get rid of acne. To remove blackheads, make a paste of alum powder with water or rose water and apply it on your blackheads. Leave it on till it dries and wash off. Don’t rub as that will irritate your skin. Boil water along with Alum and allow it to cool. Wash face with this particular cold water that lightens the complexion and tones the skin.
- Cracked heels: If your heels are dry and cracked, fret not, because you can treat it easily with alum. Heat a lump of alum till it liquefies and foams. When it dries out, you will get a crumbly powder. Grind this till it reaches a fine consistency and then mix it with coconut oil. Rub this mixture on to your heels. Do it regularly and your heels will be as soft and smooth as a baby’s.
- Alum for black or dark underarms: Using deodorant for long time might be one of the causes of black underarms or dark underarms. Using alum powder as deodorant can help to get rid of black underarm problem. But do not use it daily.
- To cure mouth blisters – Mouth blisters can also be removed using alum. Put alum solution in the mouth blisters or wounds for 30 seconds and then rinse with clean water or wash the mouth two or three times a day, it cures mouth blisters.
- For Under-eye dark circles: Mix a pinch of alum powder with water and apply it on the dark circles. Take care not to apply on the eye. Do it carefully.
- Alum for Hair Removal: Alum is traditionally used for hair removal. Women in historical ages utilized alum for removing unwanted facial hair just like upper lip hair. Mix 1/2 tsp of alum powder along with 1 tsp of rose water and keep it ready. Adjust the amount of alum powder as well as water as needed. The ratio of alum powder to rose water is 1:2 roughly. Use the alum mixture on the face or even the place where you would like the facial hairs to be removed. Let it rest for 20 minutes. Once the mixture gets dried up, sprinkle rose water on it to help keep it on more time. Clean thoroughly and pat the face dry. Regular coconut oil can be used as moisturizing.
- Curing dandruff: A pinch of alum powder and salt when added in shampoo while taking head bath help reduce the dandruff and treat itchy scalp. Take care not to add more alum.
- For healing Muscle Cramps: A mixture of turmeric and alum is a quick and effective way to combat muscle cramps quickly and without any side-effects. Add a pinch of turmeric powder and few drops of water. Mix these ingredients and rub a small piece of alum into it, in such a way that a thick paste is formed. Apply this paste over the affected area (remember not to massage the area with this paste) and leave it to dry. Do this at least twice a day for two days to get rid of pain and swelling associated with muscle cramps.
- Used as Water Purifier: It is utilized like a water purifier because it tends to make solid impurities settle in the bottom of the container. Add 5 mg alum powder per liter of water. Check whether it has cleaned the water. If not, add pinch by pinch.
- For bad breath: Add one gram of alum and a pinch of rock salt to a glass of warm water, stir till they are dissolved, then rinse the mouth with it. Do not drink it: as it can make you nauseous.
Avoid excessive use of Alum. Long term contact with low levels of the chemical may cause degeneration of nervous system tissue. It’s possible exposure to aluminum can lead to an elevated chance of cancers, brain plaques or Alzheimer’s Disease.