By Dt. Deepika Dua Arora
Co-founder of Mutation Diet Clinic
The benefits of proteins and nutrition of any food depends on how they have been cooked. Usually we have seen people preferring new cooking vessels which are generally made up of stainless steel with coating of Teflon over it which most of the time release PFCs when heated below its boiling point.
There are many advantages of using an iron vessel for cooking a good iron rich food for yourself and your families.
1. Makes Iron and mineral enriched foods.
Humans who are having iron deficiency or pregnant women or new born infant require more of iron rich foods. This is especially good news for menstruating females or pregnant moms who have increased iron needs or, for whatever reason, don’t eat enough iron-rich foods.
2. Iron pans are thick, they hold heat for longer period of time.
Cast iron pans are heavy and their weight is reason of their magic, allowing them to hold heat longer than most other pans. So, if you are afraid of you food to get over cooked you can let it cook on a low heating point as well with the same taste and nutrition within the food.
3. Does not have Teflon coating like non-stick pans.
They are safe to use and do not release any chemicals like non stick pans, non stick pans releases chemicals like PFC’S.
4. They are cost effective and easy to clean, tough and durable
Cast iron remains some of the most inexpensive cookware when we go out for purchasing the iron vessels. As they are tough in touch so they aren’t going to break and has a quality of long lasting.
5. They consume less oil.
When cast iron pans are “seasoned” properly, they persists the quality of naturally non-stick, just without the chemicals. They require the less oil for cooking any of the foods items.
There are few precautions to be taken while using the iron pots in your kitchen:
- Try to wash the vessel immediately after cooking in a hot water.
- Grease the pot with oil after washing to prevent it from rusting
- Or wipe the pot with paper towel dipped in oil after washing.