By Praveen & Maahek Nair, BodyProCoach
The Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS) Sports Medicine Institute in New York City published a set of guidelines for returning to exercise after living with mild to moderate COVID-19.
Six Key Areas to Watch
- For people with hematologic or blood symptoms, the guidelines recommend starting with low-intensity exercises and less sedentary behavior that will reduce blood clot risks.
- Those who had respiratory symptoms like pneumonia are recommended to rest for at least a week after symptoms subside, gradually returning to physical activity with an emphasis on monitoring their breathing.
- For people who have had cardiac, or heart, symptoms, the recommendation is to rest for around 2 to 3 weeks after the symptoms stop, while those who have myocarditis, or inflammation of the heart, should wait as much as 3 to 6 months before returning to some form of an exercise regimen.
- Those who have been living with the gastrointestinal effects of COVID-19 — think vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, loss of appetite — they should keep tabs of their fluid and calorie intake while easing into their fitness patterns.
- Additionally, individuals who had musculoskeletal symptoms like joint and muscle pain should also embrace a gradual return to exercise before they go back to their pre-COVID-19 workouts.
To sum up, Do only what you can handle.
Workout Post Covid can be broken down in 5 Stages to get to Normal!
According to fitness experts at BodyProCoach, check out the instructions for working out post-covid.
Stage 1 :
- Exercise should be started 10 Days post symptoms or onset of symptom
- Must be cleared by health care provider.
Light Exercise for Week 1 – 2 to 3 Times
- Walk , Light Jog , Stationary bike , no resistance training.
- Only at 50% of maximum heart rate.
- Duration 15 minutes .
Stage 3 :
Light to Moderate – 3 to 4 Times
- Running Drills
- Body Weight Resistance
- Only at 60% of maximum heart rate .
- Duration 20 minutes.
Moderate to Intense – 3 to 4 Times
- Non Contact Activities
- Sports Specific Drills
- Only at 70% of maximum heart rate.
- Duration 20 minutes.
Normal Training – 4-5 times
- Resistance Training
- Weight Training Compound Movements with light weights
- Only at 70-80 % of maximum heart rate.
- Duration 30 -40 minutes.