By Dt. Niyati Trivedi,
Nutritionist & Diabetic Educator, Founder of Nutrikcal
Here are some ways to eat sugar without sabotaging your weight loss goals.
1. Use a small plate when dishing out a dessert.
2. Do workouts that balance sugar consumption.
Sugar isn’t very good for your body in large doses for many reasons, but you can at least beat the calorie portion of the problem by doing workouts that will burn the calories consumed.
3. Eat a small piece of candy daily to eliminate cravings.
This is a great way to treat yourself for good behaviour without going overboard. When you tell yourself that you can only eat one piece daily, you’ll train your brain and body that you only need one piece.
4. Opt for a healthier dessert option.
It’s true that there are many factors that go into weight gain and loss, depending on your genes and habits, but calories are universal. If you eat desserts with fewer calories, you’ll experience fewer negative effects.
5. Get addicted to natural sugar.
You can also train your brain to crave for natural sugar by reaching for an apple or a banana, or black dates when your sugar cravings go out of hand. By satisfying the craving with a healthier option, you can teach the brain to crave healthier things.
6. Don’t eat dessert alone.
Choose a dessert or sweet which is a combination of sweetness and complex carb with fiber, like a naturally sweetened granola bar or chikki.
7. Choose quality over quantity.
If your goal is to limit your sweets, but you don’t want to feel like you’re missing out, make sure your choices emphasize quality over quantity. A few bites of good quality dark chocolate is infinitely more satisfying than a handful of other Sweet chocolates.
8. If you indulge on a dessert, then try and compensate by choosing your next meal to be a low carb or a no carb meal. Also don’t forget to burn out more calories the next day.