The term infertility is used to denote a range of disorders some of which affect the male, some the female, and contribute to childlessness in a couple. It affects 10 to 14% of the Indian population. “The figure has more or less been steady , with the main addition being the group of career women who try for a baby later than women in previous generations did,” says Dr Duru Shah, president of ISAR (Indian Society for Assisted Reproduction).
A primary reason is hectic lifestyle and job stress that contributes to drop in libido and regular sexual activity among couples. Exercising regularly and eating healthy can drastically reduce the chances of infertility.
Here are a few simple exercises that helps you in fighting infertility.
- Brisk walking – It is a great cardiovascular exercise, especially if you walk briskly. It also helps to tone your legs, back and tummy. All these are very important in treating infertility as being fit is the most integral part of your conception plan. So, go for a regular walks in the morning and evening.
- Dancing – Dancing is a great way to stay fit and flexible especially when you’re trying to conceive. Most steps in dancing involves the movement of whole body and it becomes a really good cardio workout and tones your muscles and builds stamina.
- Swimming – Swimming is the safest and preferred exercise before and during pregnancy. It builds up endurance and reduces toxic elements effortlessly. Swimming can be continued even when you are undergoing the infertility treatment and there is always a positive impact on it. It recharges the complete body and is a lot of fun too.
- Cycling – Cycling is another cardiovascular exercise that keeps your cholesterol levels healthy and reduces your risk for conditions such as type 2 diabetes. It is an ideal workouts for women wanting to conceive.
- Yoga – Yoga asanas, meditation and breath-control makes the mind calm and reduces anxiety. Yoga can serve as a tool to enhance your fertility by balancing the hormone levels of estrogen, progesterone, FSH and LH. The menstrual cycles become more regular and ovulation takes place right at the right time. By performing fertility yoga, you are strengthening your reproductive organs and muscles that are used during pregnancy and childbirth. The deep-breathing technique promotes increased blood circulation, reduces stress and gives you easier relaxation. There are a yoga positions that a woman can use after sex to increase her chances of conception. One of the most popular is a legs up the wall pose, known as Viprarita Kirani. This ensures that the sperm remain in the optimum position for fertilization for as long as possible.
Women who spent more than five hours per week doing moderate exercise are 18 percent more likely to become pregnant during any given menstrual cycle than women who perform moderate exercise for less than an hour each week.