By Avni Kaul,
Nutritionist & Wellness Coach, Nutri Activania
A good night’s sleep is a blessing that everybody needs to rejuvenate and work well and efficiently the next day too. Lack of it puts a dampener on everyday activities making the person feel lazy and uncomfortable. Stress is the most important thing that hampers a good night’s sleep but it cannot be avoided in today’s fast-paced world. But one can still strive for a comfortable sleep by avoiding certain foods just before sleeping.
1. Avoid drinking alcohol just before going to bed for it disrupts a calm and comfortable sleep by changing your usual pattern. Alcohol may make you drowsy initially but causes increased snoring and uncomfortable sleep making you feel tired when you wake up.
2. Avoid drinking any caffeinated drinks including tea and coffee at least an hour before going to bed for they keep you alert.
3. Though dark chocolate is loaded with healthy antioxidants, it also contains theobromine which like caffeine, keeps you alert thereby disrupting your good night’s sleep.
4. It is best to avoid spicy food just before bedtime for the capsaicin in it may result in indigestion and may raise your body temperature which is detrimental to a night’s rest.
5. Consumption of unhealthy, fatty and processed foods should be limited at all times but more so before you drift off to sleep. The liver and kidneys have to work harder thereby putting a burden on your digestive system. This disrupts your sleep.
6. Celery is a natural diuretic and therefore, though it is healthy, it should be avoided before bedtime. It increases the frequency of urination which is not good if you are not looking for uninterrupted sleep.
7. Pasta has lots of carbohydrates, fats and a high glycemic index all of which will disturb your usual bodily functions which will keep you awake at night.
8. Pizza too disturbs your normal sleep rhythm if you eat it for dinner because it is heavy on your stomach or its high level of acidity may cause reflux or heartburn making it difficult for you to fall asleep.
9. Ice cream is loaded with unhealthy fats and sugar and if you eat it before going to bed, they don’t get enough time to get digested which again disturbs an otherwise restful sleep.
A good night’s sleep restores your body after the grinding it gets throughout the day and therefore, it is very important for a healthy life.
ABOUT AVNI KAUL:
Avni, Founder of Nutri Activania (www.nutriactivania.com) believes in a holistic approach to optimal living and considers other wellness factors such as sleep, exercise, environmental exposures, and stress levels to create an individualized nutrition plan. She does not believe in gimmicks or starvation plans. Which is why she insists on being called a ‘wellness coach’ and not just a ‘dietitian’). To consult with Avni, or follow her, you can click on any one of these links: