A common misconception about physiotherapy is that it is used to assist people in recovering from injuries or treat problems like stiff necks and legs. However, physiotherapy can treat you holistically, improve your well-being, and eliminate difficulties that may arise.
Physical therapists work for those on a strict weight-loss mission by devising individual activity plans, advising diet plans, strategizing movements or exercises which help the patient meet the goal, and following a strict regime, all in a manner that is achievable and easy to follow.
Physiotherapy is a workable option that provides a strict diet and fitness plan and regular physical movement. Physiotherapy is proven to help slim down, fight off excess weight, and be on track with your fitness goals. Also, it can even be used by people who are unable to move their specific body parts due to some kind of ailments. Weight loss by physiotherapy is a safer method, as it is done under the supervision of a trained and experienced physician.
Physiotherapists have a role to play in the prevention and management of obesity since exercise and mobility are at the core of their work.
When do you need to opt for Physiotherapy?
Here are a few conditions that can tell you that you immediately need physiotherapy for weight loss:
- Flexibility Problems: If you are having flexibility issues due to some injury or ailments, other methods to lose weight can be a little stressful to your body. In such a condition, it is good to go for physiotherapy.
- Endurance levels: If your endurance levels are imbalanced for some reason, you will not be able to properly lose weight. Physiotherapy can be a good companion in such a condition.
- Heaviness in breath: Medical conditions like asthma can cause heaviness in your breath when you exercise or do some strenuous work that burns calories. Physiotherapy can be a good resort for people with lung or breathing problems.
- Fatigue and loss of strength: Injuries like major accidents can leave a permanent effect on your body. After injury traumas, people start feeling fatigued or start losing strength even after minutes of weight loss exercises. If you opt for physiotherapy, weight loss will not fatigue.
What To Expect During Physiotherapy For Weight Loss?
If you are someone who does not know enough about how physiotherapy for weight loss works but is curious to know, here are a few methods and exercises you can expect:
Aerobic activity: There are a number of aerobic activities suggested by physiotherapists to lose weight. The main feature of aerobic activities is that they increase the mobility of your body. A few examples of aerobic activities are:
- Step aerobic
- Jumping rope
- Elliptical training
Strength training: Apart from moderate aerobic activities, physiotherapists also suggest strength training activities that burn calories at a relatively faster rate. However, these training activities are suggested to be done only twice or thrice a week for people with lesser physical strength.
A few examples of strength training activities are:
- Single-Leg Squat With Towel
- Jump Squats
- Forward Lunges
- One-Legged Cable Kickback
- Side-Lying Hip Abduction
- Lying Leg Adduction
- Bicycle Crunch
- Leg Raise Bent Knee
- V Sit Ups
- Supported Crunches
- Butterfly Crunches
Physical therapists are experts in movement. You can schedule and book an appointment with a physical therapist for an evaluation and follow their advice on healthy eating and exercise to maintain your weight and health. Physical activity can improve physical and mental health at any age. It can also assist obese persons in becoming healthier.