Bakrid 2022, or Bakra Eid 2022, is nearing up. The celebrations include visits to mosques and offering prayers for peace and prosperity, as well as a special feast that mainly contains mutton preparations. Some of the most delicious Bakrid feast dishes include mutton biryani, mutton korma, mutton keema, bhuni kaleji, as well a range of delectable desserts like sheer khurma and kheer.
That does not mean you should not try innovative snacks to treat your family & friends.
Oats and carrot kheer
- 4 tbsp oats
- 7-8 raisins
- ½ carrot
- 300 ml slim milk
- 3-4 almonds crushed
- A pinch of cardamom powder
- 2-3 tsp Sugar
- Soak oats and raisins in half a cup of milk for 10 minutes.
- Boil the remaining milk with carrots for 5 minutes.
- Now add the soaked oats and raisins and again boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the cardamom powder, almonds, and sugar.
- Serve hot.
Calories: 260 kcal
Avocado and Chicken Kebabs
- 1 avocado (ripe and firm)
- 200 grams of chicken minced
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon shahi jeera
- A small piece of ginger
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1 green chili (small)
- 1 tablespoon green coriander
- Pepper powder to taste
- Olive oil, for shallow frying
- Run a sharp knife from the top of the avocado in a circular motion. Separate the halves and deseed. Peel off the hard skin and cut the avocado into small cubes.
- Add all the ingredients, except the avocados in a blender, to make a rough paste. Remove and mix in the avocado cubes.
- Apply some oil to your palms and make flat patties from the paste. Heat a Tawa and cook the patties on both sides till brown. Remove and serve hot.
Calories: 300 kilocalories
- 250 gm chicken cut into cubes
- 1 tsp refined oil
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 50 gm malai
- 50 gm curd
- 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp garam masala
- Salt, to taste
- For the garam masala:
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp kebab chini
- 5-6 green cardamom
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 5-6 cloves
- 1 tsp mango powder
For the garam masala:
- In a pan, dry roast cumin, coriander powder, black pepper, kebab chini, green cardamom, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Grind them in a mortar and pestle and add mango powder. Mix them well.
For the tikka:
- In a bowl, add chicken cubes, refined oil, turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste, malai, curd, juice of 1/2 lime, the prepared garam masala, and salt. Mix them well together. Keep them in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven for 20 minutes at 180 C.
- Roast the marinated chicken pieces in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove them from the oven and squeeze half a lime over them.
- Serve hot.
- 2 cups minced mutton/lamb
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp powdered black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped green coriander
- Chopped green chillies to taste
- 2 Tbsp chopped raw papaya
- 4 cloves
- 1 black cardamom seeds
- 1/8 tsp powdered cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 blade mace
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- 2 cups onions – sliced thin, and browned crisp in 1/2 cup ghee
- 1/4 cup bhuna chana – powdered
- 1 egg
- Ghee for brushing some chaat masala
- Onion rings and lemon wedges for garnish
- Mix all ingredients except ghee and garnishes to marinate for about 4 hours, then grind to form a smooth, thick paste.
- Knead this mixture well and mix in the roasted gram and the egg.
- Cover and refrigerate for another hour.
- About 25 minutes before serving, shape the meat around the skewers and place the kebabs onto a grill over a drip tray, or in a pre-heated oven temp: 425F-220 C (also on a drip tray).
- If cooking them over a charcoal grill, you will have to keep rotating them so that they brown and cook evenly.
- They should take 15-20 minutes to cook.
- Brush with ghee and cook another 2 minutes.
- Serve with mint chutney.
- Bread slices – 200 gm
- Milk – 500 gm
- Egg – 4 medium
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Custard Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cinnamon powder – a pinch
- Salt – a pinch
- Dry Fruits – as needed
- For Grease:
- Butter – 1 tablespoon
- Grease your baking pan with butter and keep it aside.
- Place bread pieces evenly on a baking tray or oven-proof bowl. Keep aside.
- Whisk egg until well mixed, add sugar and mix well. Then mix custard powder, salt, and cinnamon, and whisk again.
- Now mix milk and whisk again for one minute.
- Pour the milk mixture over bread pieces and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle dry fruits over bread.
- Preheat your oven to 170-degree c.
- Keep the pudding bowl on an ovenproof tray and fill it carefully with boiling water to become halfway up the side of your dish.
- Bake it for 30-40 minutes at 340 F (170’C) or until a toothpick inserted into the pudding comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let it cool. Slice and serve warm or cool.
Enjoy in moderation!