It is a big occasion for women undertaking their first Karwa Chauth fast after marriage. A newly married woman is given utmost importance by relatives and immediate family members during fasting for her husband’s long time. She is showered with blessings of blissful married life and loads of Karva Chauth gifts, especially by her mother-in-law.
Our Ayurveda says that the Karwa Chauth fast is beyond pleading to God for the spouses’ long existence. There are loads of fasting benefits like a positive effect on the brain, removing toxins from our body; new white blood cells replacing the older ones, and many more.
Your first Karwa Chauth: Keep These Things in Mind
- Opt for a High-protein food option. Consider the sargi thali as a balanced healthy plate that is typically eaten on a normal day. This means including a salad portion, one or two Katori of sabji – this could be two different sabjis to add a variety, a bowl of dal or lentil for protein and for the carbs including rotis and rice, and of course a glass of buttermilk.
- Consuming dry fruits like almonds, cashews, pistachios, walnuts, etc. would be a great idea. These will provide you with a significant amount of fat and proteins, which will do for a day.
- Take lots of fruits while having Sargi, as fruits have a significant amount of fibres that will keep you going and fill you up with energy.
- Avoid having cold water; go for warm as it absorbs faster in the body and reserves the sargi.
- Avoid fried and any fast food as they are heavy and can make you feel dizzy. So, stick with light and healthy.
- Do not have tea or coffee as they can make you feel dehydrated. It is best to include a probiotic in the diet. The simplest way to do this is to add a glass of buttermilk to the sargi thali.
- Avoid too much sugar while you are eating your Sargi. And if it is mandatory to have because of the ritual, then just keep it minimal as sugary items tend to increase the hunger pangs later.
- When you are done fasting, do not jump on food directly first, have some water and then go for something light and less spicy for the day.
Keep these tips in mind while celebrating your first Karva Chauth.
Do not forget to decorate your Karwa Chauth thali. Happy Karwa Chauth!