Inputs by Dr Viral Desai,
Cosmetic Surgeon, DHI India & CPLSS India
LASER HAIR THERAPY
Laser Hair Therapy (LHT) is a non-surgical, scientific approach in the cosmetic treatment of hair loss, thinning hair, and scalp problems. The operative scientific principle is that of photo-bio-stimulation – laser light stimulates cell metabolism and helps to repair the damaged cells. These machines are US FDA Approved and safe.
Science & Mechanism of Action
- Increase in cellular stimulation
- Production/repair of weakening hair stem cells
- Increase in blood flow as well as calcium (Ca2+) and nutrient permeability to the hair follicle
- Increase in nutrient acquisition by the hair follicle
- Inhibits 5-a-reductase and decreases or counters the effects of DHT
- Prevents tissue death and reduces follicular swelling or metabolism
- Increases mRNA production – stem cells work harder and faster (also referred to as super-oxidization)
The client has to come for the laser treatment to the clinic for one session a week session for 15 sessions. The client is required to use a laser comb on the remaining 6 days of the week. The laser comb is used as the maintenance treatment for 1-2 years.
MESO HAIR THERAPY
Mesohair therapy is the procedure of administering hair growth factors, vitamins & proteins in the scalp of patients suffering from hair fall. Hair fall is attributed to hormonal effects and also due to depletion of the proteins and minerals. Mesohair therapy replaces this loss and helps to regrow the hair. It also has certain substances which block the effect of hormones on hair. It contains growth factors which help in growing new hair. This therapy is FDA approved and has no adverse effects at all. Benefits of the therapy are:
- Stimulate stem cells
- Restore hair lost or thinning hair
- Stimulates hair growth.
- Increase the blood flow to the scalp
- Revive hair follicles
- Cut down hair loss
Mesotherapy involves injection of medicines, vitamins, minerals and hair growth factors (all FDA approved) into the scalp. Mesotherapy replenishes hair loss in both men and women. A typical mesotherapy procedure requires about 6 to 8 sittings on a weekly basis.
Done with micro injection (virtually painless) and derma rollers.
MEDICINE FOR HAIR LOSS
Persons who lose hair are born with weak hair (hereditary or hormonal) or have abused their hair and not taken good care of it. Such weak hair requires prolonged treatment. One natural hair growth cycle is of 4 months. If you have to take the medicines for a few cycles it easily goes on for a year. Many of these medicines taken on long term basis could have a possibility of potential side effects. But we have a novel way of keeping the side effects away by using the medicine only once in 3-days. The 3-day cycle makes sure that the drug is metabolized and washed away from the system before taking the next dose. Thus no residual medicine accumulates in the body and there are no side effects. We also recommend multivitamins and mineral supplement in the cyclical treatment which are essential for hair growth. Any therapy must act in one cycle. Improvement in hair count, caliber of hair and control over hair loss is better with cyclical medicine. Improvement is noted both in males and females.
Medicine is effective at all ages and all grades of hair loss. It can be planned for Androgenic Alopecia, Heredity Hair loss, Hormonal Hair loss, Post Pregnancy Hair loss, Male pattern hair loss and Female pattern hair loss with re growth of 30% or more of the lost hair.
Hair transplantation is a surgical technique that moves hair follicles from a part of the body called the ‘donor site’ to a bald or balding part of the body known as the ‘recipient site’. It is primarily used to treat androgenic alopecia. In this minimally invasive procedure, grafts containing hair follicles that are genetically resistant to balding, (like the back of the head) are transplanted to the bald scalp. Hair transplantation can also be used to restore eyelashes, eyebrows, beard hair, chest hair, pubic hair and to fill in scars caused by accidents or surgery such as face-lifts and previous hair transplants.
If donor hair numbers from the back of the head are insufficient, it is possible to perform body hair transplantation (BHT) on appropriate candidates who have available donor hair on the chest, back, shoulders, torso and/or legs. Body hair transplant surgery can only be performed by the FUE harvesting method and, so, requires the skills of an experienced FUE surgeon. However, there are several factors for a potential BHT candidate to consider prior to surgery. These include understanding the natural difference in textural characteristics between body hair and scalp hair, growth rates, and having realistic expectations about the results of BHT surgery.
Candidates for a hair transplant include:
- women with thinning hair
- anyone who has lost some hair from a burn or scalp injury
Hair replacement isn’t a good option for:
- women with a wide-spread pattern of hair loss throughout the scalp
- people who don’t have enough “donor” hair sites from which to remove hair for transplant
- people who form keloid scars (thick, fibrous scars) after injury or surgery
- people whose hair loss is due to medication like chemotherapy
Post treatment care
Post PRP and Mesotherapy Instruction
- Avoid exercises, underwater swimming, yoga for 2 days
- Avoid application for a day
- Scalp can be washed gently from the very same day of the procedure after 2 hours.
Post Hair transplantation Instruction
- Antibiotics and anti-inflammatory would be mandatory for 3-5 days
- Moisturization and head wash is important.
- Avoid direct sun exposure, heavy exercise and swimming for next 3 weeks after the procedure.
- Avoid usage of chemical product like gel, topic etc and chemical treatment for 1 month
Price of hair transplant
Usually it starts from 1lac to 3 lacs. Depending on the requirement of number of hair and the number of sessions.