The period is like a battle for a woman with her own body. Women often experience an array of emotions and at times, deal with ‘symptoms’. Some might feel normal and some might go through unbearable pain. It depends on an individual’s body. To get rid of their discomfort, some women tend to turn towards food, which makes it natural to wonder what to eat during the period.
What to Foods to Eat during Period?
There is no need to specifically change your diet while you are menstruating. If you want to make a few changes, make sure you include these foods in your meals.
- Dark Leafy Greens: Spinach, Kale, and Swiss chard are rich in iron, which can help combat fatigue and replenish lost blood.
- Salmon: Packed with omega-3 fatty acids, salmon can reduce inflammation and alleviate menstrual pain.
- Bananas: High in potassium, bananas can help regulate blood pressure and reduce bloating.
- Ginger: Known for its anti-inflammatory properties, ginger can ease menstrual cramps.
- Turmeric: This spice has curcumin, which can reduce pain and inflammation.
- Dark Chocolate: Indulge in dark chocolate in moderation for a mood boost and relief from cravings.
- Broccoli: Contains fiber and vitamins that can ease digestive issues and bloating.
- Nuts: Almonds, walnuts, and cashews provide magnesium, which can alleviate cramps.
- Berries: Rich in antioxidants, berries help combat inflammation.
- Oranges: High in vitamin C, oranges boost your immune system and aid iron absorption.
- Whole Grains: Oats, brown rice, and quinoa provide sustained energy and reduce mood swings.
- Yogurt: Probiotics in yogurt can improve digestion and reduce bloating.
- Water: Staying hydrated is crucial to prevent water retention and maintain overall health.
- Chamomile Tea: Known for its soothing properties, chamomile tea can ease cramps and anxiety.
- Lean Protein: Chicken, tofu, and beans provide essential nutrients for energy and muscle function.
Foods to Keep Minimum During Period
- Caffeine: It can exacerbate anxiety and increase menstrual cramps.
- Processed Foods: High in sodium and sugar, these can worsen bloating and mood swings.
- Fatty Foods: Fried and greasy foods can increase inflammation and discomfort.
- Sugary Treats: Excess sugar can lead to energy crashes and worsen mood swings.
- Dairy: Some people find that dairy products can exacerbate bloating and cramps.
- Red Meat: High-fat meats can increase inflammation; opt for leaner protein sources.
FAQ’s about what to eat during periods.
Question: “Can we eat curd during period?”
Yes. You can. Curd acts as a pain reliever during periods. It is a rich source of calcium and thus, helps in relaxing the muscles that eventually reduces cramps.
Question: Should we avoid raw fruits during the period duration?
Uncooked foods like vegetables, fruits, seeds, or nuts have nutrients that can be easily absorbed and can be eaten. Make sure these are washed thoroughly before consumption.
You need to eat a well-balanced proper diet in appropriate proportions that can help you manage your health all the time and not just while you are menstruating.