Performing Surya Namaskar to lose weight along with minimal modification in your diet is achievable, as per the research from the M.R. Medical College which is based in India that has been published in the prestigious Asian Journal of Sports Medicine.
By only finishing 12 rounds of Surya Namaskar every day for six continuous days a week, 49 men and 30 women were successfully able to shed weight by not altering their diet. The best thing about Surya namaskar is that you can practise this from the sanctity of your home without any issues.
Contraindications or side effects of Surya Namaskar include certain signs like sudden high blood pressure; in rare cases a slipped disk and sometimes coronary artery disease.
Surya Namaskar & Weight Loss
To lose some weight with the help of Surya Namaskar, incorporate the following steps into your daily schedule and see quick results –
- The first step is to learn how to do Surya Namaskar the right way. All the 12 asanas of Surya Namaskar, need to be performed with precision to see visible weight loss results! One complete round of Surya Namaskar takes about 3.5 to 4 minutes on an average.
- You need to perform it every day at the same time to lose weight faster. If you would like to stay motivated throughout the exercise routine, try some soothing and gentle music.
- You should perform the steps at a slow and steady pace. It would take around 12-15 days to perfect all the 12 poses. This will also allow you to build strength and get slim faster.
- Once you have built enough strength, increase the number of rounds you do! For effective weight loss, you can practice Surya Nmaskar for about 6 days a week and do a total of 12 rounds.
- End your yoga session with 5 mins of stretching and relaxation poses like Shavasana (Corpse Pose).
Surya Namaskar vs. Calories Burned
With 1 minute of Surya Namaskar a person is likely to burn 3.79 calories. Also, the time taken to complete a round of Surya Namaskar exercise is around 3 mins 40 seconds. Therefore, it indicates that the calories burnt in 1 Surya Namaskar full round can be up to 13.91 calories. The further extension to the calculation of calories is that 1 pound of fat equals 3,500 calories. So, if you want to reduce a pound every week, on an average you are required to burn 300-400 calories. So using these values, the efforts required by an individual will bear the following results –
1. 18 mins > 250 calories
2. 25 mins > 350 calories
3. 40 mins > 500 calories and so on!
Surya Namaskar is the mantra to lose weight and stay peaceful, healthy & fit. Yoga has been there since time immemorial, and nothing can be wiser than opting Surya Namaskar to reduce weight!