Teenage acne is a common disorder in young adults. About 80% of teenagers suffer from acne at some point in their adolescent years. There are 4 primary processes in acne:
1. Increased oil secretion: there is increased oil production by the oil secreting (sebaceous) glands on the skin during puberty.
2. Hyper cornification: There is thickening of the lining in the hair follicle-sebaceous gland unit. This leads to obstruction to flow of oil produced by the glands.
3. Bacterial infection: Infection with Cut bacterium acnes is seen in teenage acne.
4. Inflammation: as a result of all the above processes the skin reacts which is called inflammation.
Listed below are few healthy tips to cure teenage acne-
- Intake of important minerals- Minerals like zinc are considered to do magics for the skin especially when it comes to teenage acne. Zinc is anti-inflammatory which can help in redness associated with acne. Zinc is actually one of the most widely studied trusted source forms of acne treatment.
- Vitamin C Consumption- Vitamin C-rich food like Orange, Kiwi, Lime, etc helps to boost up collagen. Vitamin C can help fade pigmentation and smooth the skin’s surface to reduce dullness. This gives skin a youthful glow. However, it also brightens up the skin. Vitamin C used for skincare has a hydrating effect on the skin.
- Healthy Juices Intake- Juice of wheatgrass, carrot-beetroot are definitely amazing for clearing acne in teenagers. It is also rich in Vitamin C and is considered to be a blood purifier. These juices are definitely a blessing to the skin. They give a glow up to the skin and also hydrates it in the best possible way.
- Amla’s Utilization- Amla treats acne as it overloaded with skin-friendly Vitamin -C. It is said that fresh amla juice contains 20 times as much vitamin C as is present in orange juice. In times of nasty pollution and chemical-based skin products, the best that we can do for our skin is to give it some natural love and care. For over a thousand years, Ayurveda has held amla as one of the most skin-friendly foods.
- Avoid refined sugar and processed food- Foods that rank high on the glycaemic index, or anything that spikes your blood sugar after eating, have been shown to trigger acne in individuals predisposed to the skin condition. This happens because when your blood sugar spikes, it triggers an inflammatory response in the body, and that can show up in your skin.
- Probiotics- The best source of Probiotics is Yogurt. The most common and it is the healthiest source to treat acne. Whether you have acne scars or sun or age spots, and uneven skin tone, Yogurt is said to help even out skin tone, perhaps with the help of naturally occurring probiotics, according to 2015 research.
- Mediterranean Diet- A diet rich in green leafy vegetables is known as the Mediterranean diet which includes lots of fruits, salads, broccoli. Foods included in this diet can help keep blood sugar levels stable which can help slow down acne development. The Mediterranean diet is rich in low-glycaemic index foods and it also offers protection against the development of acne.
- Vitamin E Consumption- Vitamin E is a great antioxidant and protects the skin. Peanuts, Walnuts, Sunflower Seeds, Almonds help the skin do so.