Diwali, is definitely the most beautiful and vastly celebrated Hindu festival. But for all you fitness lovers, it may often lead to some undue weight gain. Not anymore! With Women Fitness’ 10 easy tips you can definitely enjoy all the festivities and still keep that extra fat at bay!
1. Make sure that you continue your daily routine workout. If not then do at least 30 mins of brisk walking and/or 3 sets of Suryanamaskar with proper warm up and cool down – bottom line – 30 to 45 mins activity daily (early morning or evening before dinner).
2. Even if you are not able to hit the gym, climb stairs, do skipping or walk more.
3. Daily deep breathing exercises like Pranayama or Nadi Shuddhi, Anulom Vilom etc. to keep your lungs clear, because there will be a lot of pollution in the air due to the smoke from fire crackers in addition to the usual smog.
4. Include at least 10-15 mins of stretching in your daily workout to keep yourself flexible during the festivities.
5. Meditate at least 5 mins towards the end of your workout to keep yourself stressfree.
6. If you feel that you have over-eaten, then burn more calories the following day by adding an additional 30 mins of any cardio activity of moderate intensity like brisk walk + jog, cycling, swimming etc.
7. Choose an alternative like climbing a flight of stairs as opposed to taking the lift.
8. Use Diwali as a reason to show some deadly dance moves to kill those extra calories along with improving your dance skills.
9. Another great way to add fitness to your busy schedule is bike to work, get off your bus or train a few stops earlier, or park the car farther away to extend your walking time.
10. While sitting at home, just sit on a stability ball to strengthen your core, and keep dumbbells or exercise tubing at your desk. Squeeze in 12 to 15 reps of exercises like dumbbell curls, overhead presses, and ab crunches; aim for two or three sets of each.