By Kejal Sheth,
Nutritionist, Weight Management Expert and Founder of Nutrivity.in
If you feel like you’re making smart moves to lose weight but still aren’t seeing the scale prove you right, here’s a little help with your fat loss goals!
Fat burning the result of expending more calories than you consume. There is no single magic food that cuts off all the stored fat overnight, but few foods are proven to increase your basal metabolic rate and thus initiate fat loss.
For a clean start, add these to rotation and give that extra boost to your efforts!
- Apple Cider Vinegar: ACV works at gene level by increasing genes responsible for burning fat. Also it delays hunger in part due to delayed stomach emptying and improves insulin sensitivity. Consumption of 1-2 tbsp diluted in water is recommended to max out the benefits of this tonic.
- Watermelon seeds: Apart from pumpkin and Chia seeds, watermelon seeds are the new superfood. Power pressed with protein, B vitamins and magnesium it also provides heart healthy fats. A solid munching option is ready; just mild roast them!
- Cinnamon: It is an effective metabolism booster. It acts on the enzyme that slows digestion of carbs and thus keeps you satiated for longer time, lowers blood glucose levels and lower the risk of obesity.
- Tiger nuts: This incredible ingredient is slowly but surely making its way into modern takes on health. The modest nuts contain high amounts of dietary fibre which keep you fit as a fiddle. Besides being inexhaustible source of vegetarian protein, they are also high in magnesium and potassium both offering a cardio protective effect.
- Sweet Potato: Sweet potatoes are rich in Vitamin A and C along with phytonutrients which improve the skin and hair texture. Also high dietary fibre content keeps you full for a longer time helping avoid frequent binging.
- Moringa: When trying to burn fat, adding nutrients without stacking up calories is important. That’s exactly what Moringa has to offer. Packed with vitamin C, iron, calcium and amino acids this plant is native to India. Try adding it to your smoothies or sprinkle over your porridge.
- Indian gooseberry: Amla is a good source of dietary fibre and the chromium content boosts metabolism. It is loaded with soluble fibre which aids digestion; regular bowel movements are necessary for effective weight loss.
- Chilli: Consumption of chilli pepper induces thermogenesis and thus causes expenditure of few extra calories. Sprinkling chilli powder over your meal preps keeps hunger pangs at bay. However be cautious with adding this one to your diet!
- Eggs: Eggs are low in calories and incredibly nutrient dense. The high protein content keeps you full longer and boosts metabolism making an ideal kick start for the day!
- Coffee: Coffee contains a number of stimulants which not only increase the amount of calories you burn at rest but also make you alert. It works on nervous system which has a direct signalling effect on fat cells to break down.
- Asparagus: Asparagus contains high amount of soluble and insoluble fibre making it ideal for any fat loss journey. Additionally it is abundant in folic acid essential for metabolic cycles. Combine it with eggs and a perfect meal in less than 300 Kcal is on your plate!
- Salmon: The nutritionally dense combined with reasonable calories ingredient is a definite plus to your goals. Research shows that fish oil independently reduces body fat. Also it provides a good amount of protein, vitamin D, niacin and vitamin B12.
- Garlic: Garlic has been long praised in Ayurveda for its heart friendly attribute, added to lowering the lipid molecules it also induces heat production or burning calories and affects the genes producing fat.
- Beans: Protein rich foods have higher thermic load on the digestive tract and hence encompass fat burning quality. They are also loaded with soluble fibre improving the gut bacteria there by lowering inflammation related belly fat.
- Spinach: This generous green vegetable is a low calorie store of iron, vegetable protein source and full of fibre. This blend makes it a perfect ingredient to every dieter’s meal.
- Cocoa: Complimenting your diet with crude cocoa can enhance your body’s capacity to metabolize fat and use it as energy. It stimulates serotonin production and helps to suppress your attitude.
*Along with all these ingredients aiding your fat loss goals, exercise has a major impact. None of these foods would be beneficial if not supported with regular exercise.