By Ms. Preety Tyagi,
Nutritionist, and Founder of MY22BMI
Staying fit and healthy is always important but has gained a lot more importance these days due to the lockdown. As the stress levels are going up with people having to sit at home leaving their work and daily activities aside, it is important to keep one’s body healthy and fit at the same time. Overeating during these difficult days is something that’s troubling almost everyone. Being at home all day long, makes a person turn towards the refrigerator and the kitchen, a bit too often.
Since, health is always important, it is more crucial now, during the lockdown. With no physical activity, and too much opportunity to snack and eat while sitting on your couch can have adverse effects on our body, weight and overall health. How to avoid this?? How to keep your eating in check and not over indulge??
Tips to Avoid Overeating While Working From Home
– First and foremost, MONITOR your eating schedule. I always emphasize on maintaining a food log, food journal, by mentioning the time of intake and what food was eaten. Also, mention the number of glasses of water taken. This may sound very methodical and a bit too tedious, but is doable during the lockdown. This serves as a powerful tool to connect your brain with your physical and emotional hunger. Since, boredom can turn people towards food, a bit too often, a food journal can help them understand that whether it’ a boredom call or real hunger.
– Feed yourself on Fibrous fruits and vegetables. Foods that are high in fiber, keep us full and give us energy for longer time periods. Also, these foods are excellent for a healthy gut. High fiber foods are also generally high in vitamins and minerals, and hence provide us with a great balance of essential vitamins and keep us healthy.
– Indulge in daily physical workout every day. Having a sedentary workout can not only pose a threat of weight gain but also to many heart diseases and lifestyle diseases. Along with that, physical activity is essential in keeping your mood happy. Physical exercise releases certain hormones and essential brain enzymes that are responsible for bringing the mind to a state of happiness. Hence, a physical workout even at home, will help people to remain fit both physically and mentally.
There are many good workout and dance videos on the Youtube. These can be useful tool, to keep you motivated and engaged in a daily workout. Joining some Health and Fitness groups and communities on Social Media Networks can keep people motivated and help you connect with other people with similar interests.
– Drink enough WATER. Water is essential to keep us hydrated and satisfied both physically and mentally. Also, often enough when our bodies are thirsty, our hormones may trick us into believing that we are hungry. This is something that often leads us to overeating or binge eating. Hence, it’s important to rule out the possibility of thirst over hunger before consuming extra calories. So, every time you feel like eating a snack in between meals, first go and drink a whole glass of water. Give your mind and body two minutes to realize. If you feel hungry still, then go grab a healthy snack, otherwise, give it a pass.
– Feed on Healthy snacks. Keep some healthy snacks always handy during the lockdown. It’s important to munch on something that provides you nourishment as well as satisfaction that will help you ensure that you don’t feel hungry again and again. Examples of such snacks are- almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, coconut flakes, fresh coconut, coconut water etc. All these foods are full of essential components as well as are good sources of healthy fats. These help you stay full and keep your food and sugar cravings under control for longer.
Remember, staying fit is crucial now during the lockdown, like never before…