6. Sathumaavu Gingerbread Cookies
- 1 cup sathumaavu/health mix powder
- ¼ cup jaggery powder (½ cup for sweeter cookies)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
- ¼ tsp clove powder
- ¼ tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Sift the sathumaavu flour along with the spice powders, salt and baking powder 2-3 times.
- In another bowl, whisk oil with jaggery powder and a tablespoon of water until smooth and lump free.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients to form a tight dough. If the dough is too dry, use a few drops of water to loosen it up. If the dough is too sticky, add a little flour to bind it together.
- Cover the dough in cling wrap and refrigerate for not longer than 10-15 minutes.
- While the dough is in the fridge, preheat the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 10-15 minutes.
- Take out the dough and place it between 2 sheets of parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough between the parchment till the dough is about ¼” thick.
- Remove the top parchment paper and cut out cookies using cookie cutters of your choice.
- Grease a baking pan with butter. Transfer the cookies to the pan, leaving enough space between them.
- Bake the cookies at 180 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes per batch. They will be soft initially, but will harden as they cool.
- Let the cookies to cool on a wire rack. Transfer the christmas cookies to an air tight container.
7. Fudgy Cocoa Brownies
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- A pinch of salt
- 3 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons unflavored cooking oil
- 2 tsp of pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup honey
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees Celsius. Grease a 9×9 square pan and line it with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together the whole wheat flour, cocoa powder and salt. Keep aside.
- In a blender or processor, blend the eggs, vanilla extract, oil, honey, milk and yogurt till smooth.
- Add the blended wet mix into the dry flour-cocoa mix. Mix until just incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Tap a few times gently to help the batter become uniform.
- Bake at 300°F for 25 to 28 minutes or till the cake is done. Try the toothpick test but for brownies the toothpick may still have some wet crumbs.
- Cool completely to room temperature in the pan. Once cool, lift out the parchment paper and slice into squares.