These DIY face masks are tried and tested. Try to use organic ingredients whenever possible, as the skin on your face is thinner than other parts of your body and can soak up toxins much more easily.
Face Masks For Your Skin
Papaya Mask to Brighten Aging Skin
Papaya is rich in antioxidants, and its enzymes help to slough away old, dry skin cells for a glowing, healthy complexion.
- 1/2 a ripe papaya peeled, seeded, and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon or lime juice
- Puree the papaya in a food processor or blender until just mashed evenly, and then blend in the other ingredients by hand.
- Spread over your face, avoiding your eyes, and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Wipe or rinse your face clean, and smile at yourself in the mirror.
Strawberry Lemon Mask for Oily/Problem Skin
Strawberries contain salicylic acid (which is great for acne-prone skin), while lemon juice helps to tighten pores and remove old, dead skin cells. Yogurt and honey have antibiotic properties, and this entire blend is as good for your outsides as it is in a drink. Use any leftovers in a slurp-able smoothie with the milk of your choice.
- 1/4 cup mashed strawberries
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Mash all of the ingredients together, but do not puree in a blender: you want this to be spreadable, not a liquid.
- Apply evenly all over your face and let sit 8-10 minutes.
- Wipe off with a warm, damp facecloth and then rinse with cool water. Pat dry.
Soothing Oatmeal Mask
Oatmeal is great for soothing rough, angry skin and for helping to heal eczema and acne breakouts. Paired with honey and yogurt, itâs a calming and revitalizing mask for all skin types.
- 1/3 cup instant oatmeal
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1-2 tablespoons plain, unsweetened yogurt
- Add the water to your oatmeal and stir for a few minutes until it’s plumped up nicely.
- Add the honey and yogurt, and put through a blender to smooth and combine it really well.
- Slather this all over your face, leave on for 10 minutes or so, and then wash with warm water. Pat dry.
*Note: this mask can also be used on eczema patches on other parts of your body, such as inner arms, the backs of your knees, your neck, etc.
Turmeric, Honey, and Lemon mask
Turmeric and lemon are amazing for skin-brightening: Turmeric (and its active ingredient, curcumin) has antioxidant properties that can help protect the skin from free-radical damage, while lemon has a fair share of vitamin C—perfect for fading dark spots.
- 1 tbsp. of raw or Manuka honey
- 1 tsp. of ground turmeric
- ½ tsp. of lemon juice
- Combine raw or Manuka honey, turmeric, and lemon juice.
- Slather on and leave for 10 minutes or until the mask starts to harden, then wash off with warm water.
- Note: Remember to do a patch test before applying honey to your face, especially if you’re new to DIY: Even if you consume honey all the time, your skin might have an unexpected reaction to it as a topical treatment.
Tomatoes and Multani Mitti Mask
Tomatoes not only add flavour to your food, but also to your beauty regimen. Known as natural sunscreen, tomatoes are one of the best Ayurvedic health food of Indian origin. High concentrations of anti-oxidants in tomatoes prevent cellular damage caused due to free radicals. Hence, it helps slow down the ageing process, making your skin look younger and fresh.
- 2 Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. fuller’s earth (multani mitti)
- Take tomatoes and form a puree. Mix it with fuller’s earth (multani mitti).
- Apply the paste to your face and neck and leave it for 20 minutes.
- Wash off with cold water. The application of this Ayurvedic face pack will leave your skin hydrated, rejuvenated and glowing.
Try these traditional and natural masks to make your skin glow and look Healthy.