Packing lunch for work isn’t quite the back-breaking task we all it is considered. If you plan to carry a healthy packed lunch to work, you need more than just a simple tiffin box. You need to make sure what you’re putting in that tiffin, is a properly balanced meal.
Easy lunch-packing tips for a healthy lunch, and keep it as fresh as when you prepared it in the morning.
- Cook in big batches: During the weekends, cook food in big batches and freeze the extra portions. Use those portions as your lunch for the coming week. It will help ease your need to cook lunches daily and remove any preparation work needed. All that’s needed will be for you to heat it up at your office and eat to your heart’s content.
- Pack food that reheats well: Reheating food is a necessity if you’ve been carrying it since morning. However, you have to be careful about what you’re reheating. Not all food items taste the same once reheated. Soups and stews are the best food in such a situation , since their taste doesn’t get altered after reheating.
- Pack filling dishes: Do you feel hungry after an hour of having lunch at office? That’s because the lunch you packed wasn’t filling enough. Make sure to pack dishes containing beans, lentils, brown rice, quinoa and other fibre-rich foods. It will help keep your hunger at bay and help you better concentrate on work.
- Utilize some prepared food: Ready-made meals, although not always a healthy option, sometimes can aid in your lunch preparation. Try store-bought chicken for topping salads or filling wraps, a box of lettuce to make salad. Food items like these will help cut down your food prep and cook time, while packing your lunch.
- Avoid soggy food: It’s lunch time and you open to see the salad or sandwich you’ve made has turned soggy, definitely not the kind of meal you were looking forward to. That’s the reason you should pack your dressing separate from your salad, and pack your bread separate from the sandwich filling. By doing so, it will ensure that your lunch tastes fresh.
The key to enjoying great meals during lunch at work lies in packing. While ordering lunch from outside does seem convenient, but doing it all the time isn’t quite healthy. Try out the hacks above, and enjoy a healthy packed meal without going through the hassle of the early morning prepping and cooking.
List of 10 Healthy Options:
You can choose any of the following fibre rich foods:
- Whole grain pasta with crispy veggies like bell pepper, broccoli, carrots and onions.
- Boiled or roasted chickpea salad
- Bhuna chana bhel
- Multigrain flakes with honey, plum, raisin and almonds
- Sweet corn and vegetable salad with cottage cheese
- Multigrain cottage cheese toast
- Quinoa vegetable cheese pulao
- Chapatti veggie wraps
- Oats dosa
- Moong dal chila
Opt for dishes that retain their flavor even at room temperature. For example, an easy pinwheel sandwich, etc. Make sure to bring the food to room temperature before packing in the tiffin.