By Kejal Sheth
Nutritionist, Weight Management Expert and Founder of Nutrivity.in
1. Handva with a twist
|Green moong dal + udad dal||¼ cup|
|Carrot, green peas, French beans, bottle gourd (Chopped and boiled)||½ cup|
|Green chilli paste||½ tsp|
|Ginger garlic paste||¼ tsp|
|Salt||As per taste|
|Olive oil||½ tsp|
|Sesame seeds||¼ tsp|
|Mustard seeds||1/8 tsp|
- Combine the drained dal and ¼ cup of water in a mixer and blend to a coarse paste.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add semolina, besan, coriander , green chilli paste, garlic ginger, salt and mix well.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and add mustard seeds, sesame seeds while saute it for a few seconds.
- Pour the batter over it and spread evenly.
- Cook for 10 minutes on a low flame until the base turns golden brown and crisp.
- Flip it over and cook until crispy on both the sides.
- Serve immediately with green chutney.
2. Amaranth veggie pilaf
|Cooked amaranth grain||½ cup|
|Sweet onion (small diced)||¼ cup|
|Assorted vegetables||½ cup|
|Cumin seeds||½ tsp|
|Paneer (cubed)||¼ cup|
|Biryani masala||1 tbsp|
|Ginger garlic paste||½ tbsp|
|Chopped cilantro and mint||2 tbsp|
|Olive oil||2 tsp|
- Cut the assorted veggies in bite size pieces. Cut the paneer into small cubes and set aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add some oil and cumin seeds. Next add in the ginger garlic paste and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the vegetables and paneer, biryani masala, salt and cooked amaranth once the veggies are tender.
- Add little water and cook well for 2-3 whistles. Top it up with cilantro and mint leaves.
- Serve with your favourite raita or just simple curd.
3. Spinach and soy balls
|Spinach leaves (finely chopped)||150 g|
|Soy flakes||¼ cup|
|Almond powder||2 tbsp|
|Bread crumbs||1 tbsp|
|Red chilli flakes||½ tsp|
|Salt and pepper||To taste|
|Olive oil||1 tsp|
- Dry roast the soya flakes over a medium heat. Cool and grind to a powder.
- In a large mixing bowl, ground soya flakes almond powder, bread crumbs, paneer, red chilli flakes, salt and pepper and make a dough. Divide the mixture into lemon size portions and make balls
- Preheat the oven at 200 degree. Grease the baking sheet with little oil. Bake spinach balls in a pre-heated oven for about 20 minutes or till outer layer turns crisp and brown.
4. Black bean and hummus wrap
|Onion (chopped)||1 small|
|Bell pepper (chopped)||½ cup|
|Sliced mushrooms||¼ cup|
|Roasted red bell pepper hummus (homemade)||½ cup|
|Whole grain tortilla or Roti||1 big|
|Black beans (rinsed, drained and boiled)||¼ cup|
|Fresh spinach||4-7 leaves|
- Lightly cook the tortilla on both the sides on a non-stick tawa and keep aside.
- In a pan, saute onions until translucent. Add in bell peppers followed by mushrooms.
- To assemble the wrap, spread 2 tbsp of hummus on the wrap, add all the veggies, beans and spinach leaves. Roll into a burrito.
- Place it on a preheated baking tray. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Serve the wrap warm and serve with salsa.