With no access to a gym or tools, you can strike a very simple routine using things you already have in your home. Versatile in many ways, a single bath towel can help you challenge muscles in your body from head to toe without ever needing to step out.
Go ahead pick up a towel and get going to do these 5 exercises:
Muscles worked: chest, shoulders, triceps
- Stand tall and grip the ends of the towel at chest level in front of the body. Hands should be shoulder-width apart with elbows bent at 90 degrees.
- Slowly push the towel away from the body with one arm while pulling in with the other arm at the same time.
- Return to the starting position to complete one rep.
Muscles worked: upper back, shoulders, biceps
- Stand tall and grip the ends of the towel at chest level in front of the body. Hands should be shoulder-width apart with elbows bent at 90-degree angles.
- Raise your arms above your head and pull down, bending your elbows and bringing the towel down behind your upper back.
- Straighten your arms back above the head to complete one rep.
- Make sure you don’t lean forward or tuck your chin, and keep the back straight throughout the movement.
Muscles worked: hamstrings, quadriceps, glutes
- Stand tall and place the towel under the right foot. Push the right foot back slightly so that you’re on the ball of your foot.
- As your left knee bends into the lunge position (about 90 degrees), slide the right leg back, keeping the leg straight without locking the knee.
- As the left knee returns to a straightened position, the right leg slides back in to complete one rep.
Muscles worked: hamstrings
- Lie on your back with knees bent and feet flat on the floor.
- Place the folded towel under both feet and bring your hips up high into a bridge position.
- Slide the feet out until the legs are almost straight and knees aren’t locked, then slide back in to the starting position to complete one rep.
- Your hips and glutes should remain lifted through the entire exercise.
Muscles worked: obliques, lower back, shoulders
- Sit tall with knees bent and feet flat on the floor.
- Hold the ends of the towel overhead and brace your abs tight as you lean back slightly.
- As you lean back, drop the towel down to the right side of the body, tracing a figure eight from the back of the body to the front.
- Sit tall again as you bring the towel overhead to complete one rep. This should feel like a rowing motion, moving from one side to the other.
For a guit-free full-body workout, perform each exercise for one to three sets, with eight to 12 repetitions per set. If the exercise alternates sides, be sure to do the full set of reps on each side.