By Kejal Shah
If you’re new to grilling or feeling a little rusty, check out the BBQ recipes from this list!
Grilled Cauliflower with Mango Slaw and Avocado Crema
- 1 cup red onion, thinly sliced (approximately ½ an onion)
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1red mango, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- ½ lime, juiced
- 1 ½ avocado
- 2 limes, juiced
- ⅔ cup canned coconut milk
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- In a bowl toss together all the ingredients for the mango slaw
- In a blender, combine all the ingredients for the avocado crema until smooth
- Toss cauliflower florets in olive oil, minced garlic, chili powder, and cumin, and grill for 20 minutes on the barbecue over medium-high heat.
- In a bowl place a small amount of mango slaw on the bottom, then a few pieces of grilled cauliflower, and top with a dollop or drizzle of avocado crema.
- Add a squeeze of extra lime on top if desired.
Barbecue sweet potatoes with garlic and herb dressing
- 6 medium sweet potatoes, unpeeled
- Extra-virgin olive oil to drizzle
- 6 fat garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 300g soured cream or natural yogurt
- ½ red onions
- Finely grated zest and juice
- 1 lemon
- A small bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
- A small bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- A small bunch of fresh mint, chopped, plus extra leaves to serve
- Put each sweet potato on a large piece of foil. Drizzle over olive oil and season well. Wrap tightly and put in the barbecue embers for 45-60 minutes. Alternatively, roast in an oven heated to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6 for 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wrap the garlic cloves in a little foil, drizzle with olive oil, and leave in the embers for 15-20 minutes until soft (or cook in the oven, as above, for 20 minutes). Finely slice the red onion and put it in a non-metallic bowl with most of the lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- When the garlic is cool enough to handle, squeeze the flesh from the skins into a large bowl and drizzle with a little more olive oil. Mix in the soured cream or yogurt gradually to distribute the garlic evenly.
- When ready to serve, add the chopped herbs, lemon zest, and the remaining lemon juice, season, and taste. Remove the onions from the lemon juice, squeezing them dry.
- Open the sweet potato parcels, squash the flesh open a bit, spoon over the garlic and herb dressing, scatter with the onions and extra mint leaves, then serve in the foil.